The Governing Council has 16 members consisting of:
• Persons elected at the AGM held February/March each year
• The Principal
• A staff member
• Nominees from Hawthorndene Kindergarten, Parents & Friends
• Two community nominees
The Governing Council is responsible for developing an understanding and basis by which a partnership can be formed with the Principal and staff and the community, including students, so that the vision and direction of the school is shared by all. The Governing Council in this framework is responsible for developing policy in a number of areas.
- School tone – uniform
• Guidelines for standing committees and approval structures
• Approving the school’s financial budget and establishing priorities for
• Facilities priorities within the overall budget concerns
• Fund raising policy and management
• Feedback policies which enable the appropriate school personnel to make
The Governing Council is responsible for developing a strategic plan which has appropriate targets and also meets the government priorities. In all these areas of responsibility, the Principal and the Governing Council should be in partnership. Governing Council meetings are generally held in weeks 4 and 9 of each term on the Tuesday commencing at 7.30pm in the Resource Centre or via online meetings.